Corpus Christi Distracted Driving Accident Lawyers
Drivers today are more distracted than they have ever been in the past. Smartphones, iPads, handheld devices, and in-car entertainment systems and other complicated features have made it easier for drivers to lose focus on the road. While these advances in technology have made our lives easier, using them at the wrong time and in the wrong way can ruin lives. Distracted driving accidents are disproportionately caused by and affect younger drivers and there were 95,572 accidents caused by distracted driving alone in Texas in 2018. Distracted driving is easily avoidable in most situations and no one is a good enough multi-tasker to remove any of their focus from the road.
If you have been injured in an accident caused by a distracted driver, the Brunkenhoefer, P.C. Injury Attorney are ready to help you with your case. Talk to us about the details of your accident during a free consultation and we can help you learn more about filing a claim and seeking fair compensation for your losses. No one injured by the negligence of a fellow driver should have to face the bills, the property damage, or the coming battle alone.
Texting and Driving in Texas
The practice of texting while commuting has become so commonplace that Texas has implemented a series of campaigns titled “Talk, Text, Crash”. The advertisements aim to spread knowledge about the dangers of texting and driving as well as useful statistics. According to their page on the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) website, distracted driving has hit a new high, where every one in five accidents is ultimately caused by drivers refusing to devote their full attention to the road. TxDOT has pinpointed cell phone usage as a key contributor in most accidents that occur, but “Talk, Text, Crash” educates drivers on a full range of distracted driving practices, including:
- Engaging with social media
- Looking at emails
- Applying makeup or fixing hair
- Reading (either from an electronic device or a book)
- Searching for a location on a GPS
- Watching videos
- Adjusting the settings on a radio or other sound system
Texting and Driving Statistics
The total number of accidents that can be attributed to these kinds of distracted driving totaled 95,572 in 2018. Remember that this number accounted for approximately 18% of all accidents that occurred in 2018. More than 2,500 Texans were injured in these crashes and nearly 400 people died. TxDOT has further statistics about crashes in Texas:
- Deaths per one hundred million miles was at a 3.59% increase from 2015, meaning that a death occurred every two hours and 20 minutes
- Texas officials recorded 1,923 “serious” crashes in 2018, meaning those that caused serious bodily injury
- Single-vehicle crashes accounted for 34.3% of all road fatalities in 2016, for a total of 1,293 deaths
No doubt many of these accidents could have been prevented if the driver responsible had been paying attention to the road at the time of the accident. Sometimes, our accidents can seem even worse, knowing that such a small, simple change could’ve prevented the damage to their car, their serious and painful injury, or even the death of a loved one. When you’re injured in an accident that was caused by a distracted driver, you shouldn’t have to pay for the consequences.
Common Cases of Distracted Driving
Drivers can become distracted through many means, some of which may seem impossible to avoid. A mother with a fussing child might not have all of her attention on the road. A pet owner, taking their dog to the vet, might become distracted when their dog jumps up in the front seat unexpectedly. A particularly fancy billboard may grab a driver’s attention in an otherwise distraction-free environment. In a construction zone, a driver may become confused about the signage and flow of traffic, especially if the roadway doesn’t have appropriate directions. However, all of these cases could’ve been prevented.
Hiring an attorney becomes important because they can argue that the mother could’ve pulled off to the side of the road to find out what was wrong with her child before continuing. An attorney can argue that the pet should’ve been in a crate or kennel for the sake of transportation. If the billboard was shiny, bright, or legitimately distracting, the attorney could take on the company who designed it or approved it. In the case of improper signage keeping a driver from focusing on the road, an experienced lawyer can take on the construction company. Don’t let someone else’s negligence lead to your continued suffering. Instead, hire an attorney who will be able to look at all of the facts and successfully argue that all distractions could’ve been prevented.
Brunkenhoefer, P.C. Injury Law: Our Record of Success
The attorneys at Brunkenhoefer, P.C. Injury Law have over 25 years of experience. The firm was established in 1992, and has been assisting clients all over the country ever since, fighting for the rights of those that were injured in anything from car accidents to Maritime injuries, to complex litigation against large companies. Our firm offers a variety of features to ensure you are taken care of to the best of our ability.
- You will always work directly with your attorney so that we can personalize every single interaction. Many offices may send you to their aides and paralegals, failing to meet with you until you’ve reached the courtroom; with us, you’ll never have to worry who your attorney is.
- Our attorney are fully prepared to take our opponents to court. Although many cases will be settled out of court, don’t choose an attorney who won’t take the next step for you!
- We can guarantee that there will be no fees you have to pay to us unless we are able to win your case. This is to ensure that you get the help you need without having to stress over the idea of added expenses.
- We offer nation-wide, 24-hour service. Although we are based in Corpus Christi, we can come to the aid of anyone in America. Furthermore, if you call us at any time of the day, we’ll pick up the phone. Your well-being is of the utmost importance to us.
If you want to know more, give us a call at 361-888-8808. We’ll be happy to answer any and all questions you have about our firm or your case.
Should I just take the money the insurance company offers me?
There are many cases in which this is the best course of action. For one, if you were not badly injured or weren’t injured at all and your car has minimal damage, you might not want or need to seek further damages, especially when that can take months. However, if an insurance company makes a low first offer, then you may want to consult an attorney who can give you an accurate estimate of the worth of your accident. If they refuse to offer more than an initial settlement and you need more than that to recover, an attorney at your side could help you get all that you need.
Dedicated Representation for Our Valued Clients
Brunkenhoefer, P.C. Injury Law hosts a powerful team who are passionate about justice and standing up for injured victims. We devote our entire practice to pursuing injury claims. No matter how challenging or serious an injury, we have the experience, resources, and insight to deliver a meaningful result. Contact us today at 361-888-8808.